Monday, May 16, 2011

Getting To Know You





So, it has been about one week since my stick and I chose each other. I wish I could say that this week was filled with a ton of ground breaking news, but it has not. It is probably better that way anyway. I don't want to make any big moves just yet as we are still getting acquainted with each other. But, nonetheless, I will still chronicle our first week together as it is a very important first stage of our journey.




We found each other amongst the group of students and sticks on May 10, 2011. Professor Alvarez had a collection of probably 30 sticks for us to use. Many of my classmates found one right away and were very excited right off the bat. I however waited patiently knowing that whichever stick was really meant for me would remain whether or not I furiously dug through the pile or waited towards the back of the group. And that strategy certainly worked! We are the perfect pair! Well, in actuality every student/stick pairing is probably perfect...but still, we really ARE perfect.




First things first, she is about as tall as my waist with a perfect bend at the top that is just like a handle. She seems very old and has that perfect aged feeling. There are parts of her that are a little weak, but only with a considerable amount of great force would she break. This is where I recognized our first similarity. I mean, aren't we all a little weak at times or in some part of our lives? Yet, like the stick, I feel very strong in other areas. There is enough support, both from myself but from other people in my life, that outlast any small cracks I may have. And the stick is strong enough at her base that the cracks don't really matter.



So, after our first meeting and a few activities in class, some of my classmates and I went to get to know each other and obviously brought our sticks along for the journey. Then, we journeyed home to relax.




I must say that she is the perfect stick for coming on a bike ride. She fits very well at the handle bars and really helps keep balance. I look forward to many more rides around Ann Arbor as the summer season begins.




This past weekend, we went on a journey together to Michael's craft store. I wanted to buy some paint so that I could use it in the transformation process. At first, I thought I would carve the stick as the months progressed, but the type of wood is not really good for carving. So, paint will be a good thing for us. I started painting today by covering a small part of her with white paint. Then my intention was to write my own name in that small part, but that seems a bit selfish! So, that is as far as I have gotten.




I'm thinking of painting "Deut. 30: 11-14" somewhere as I'd like to reflect those verses in my community practice. It calls for a community to come together and start acting in order to create the changes they want to see. If this stick is supposed to be a reflection of my own professional transformation, than that could be fitting. Since it is at the top of the stick, then I feel like that verse could be the "leader" of all other parts of the stick. But, I haven't decided on that yet. I'm trying to view this assignment as a process--not just something I have to do right now in the moment.



Other than that, we are still getting to know each other. I look forward to bringing her to some classes, field, church, the park, etc. Who knows what the future holds for us!?

No comments:

Post a Comment